Steps for today:
- Work individually.
- Research YOUR three (3) topics ONLY.
- When you find information or pictures that you want to use, copy and paste them to a Word document.
- Include a citation or Web address for EVERY piece of information or picture that you copy and paste.
- At the end of the day, print your Word document to take home.
- At home, write your three (3) half-page, hand-written summaries.
- If you have time left at the end of class, YOU DON’T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION. Continue to research.
- DO NOT print ENTIRE articles. Only copy and paste what you need.
Use credible sources. If it looks shady, it probably is.
Places to Start:
- World Book (at school only)
- ABC-CLIO World Geography (at school only)
- National Geographic
- CIA World Factbook
- U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Public Affairs
- Lonely Planet
- NY Times Travel
- Yahoo! Travel
Finding Credible Sources:
- Look for sites that end in .gov, .edu, or .gov. These sites are usually credible.
- Beware of sites with lots of ads. These sites tend to be less credible.
- Also beware of sites trying to sell something.
- Use caution with Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it and write whatever they want.
- A good rule of thumb: if it doesn’t look professional, look somewhere else.
- Good example: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1093.html
- Bad example: http://www.1costaricalink.com/eng/web/realest-eng.htm